2.13.2012

Someone is Watching YOU!

This morning I enjoyed sitting in my favorite chair with a cup of steaming hot coffee reading the story of Hagar (Abram's wife's servant) and Sarai (Abram's wife).  Not that it is that exciting of a story or that I enjoyed the unfolding of the story because it is really a sad story in several ways.  Sarai was aging and knew that Abram wanted a child (a son, to be more specific).  For some reason unknown to Sarai, she has never been able to conceive so she insists that he take Hagar as a wife and try to have a child with her.  
He agrees (his first mistake) and she conceives and is quite "proud" of this seeming to flaunt it to Sarai (Hagar's first mistake). Sarai then blames Abram - even though this was her brain child to start with - and treats Hagar so badly that she flees into the desert to get away. 
Now, here is what I love about this story.  God comforts this woman in the desert by a spring because he sees her there and sends an angel to interact with her. 
What is so special about this whole thing?  
The way that the character of God is revealed in this story is what makes it special to me!
When the angel speaks to Hagar and she responds with saying, "You are the God who sees me".  In the English translation (NIV), we have added the "me" for clarification and the name that she speaks toward God is really "El Roi" - "The God who SEES". (Genesis 16:13)
Isn't that great!  HE SEES!
In my darkest hour - He sees!
In my finest hour - He sees!
In pain or pleasure - He sees!
In joy or sorrow - He sees!
Psalm 139 says that:  
when I sit or stand,
when I come in or leave,
when I try to hide or escape Him,
when I run away or to Him
He sees!
Every time I am reminded of this Name of God - it brings me comfort and confidence that whenever I feel alone, discouraged or defeated I can KNOW without a shadow of a doubt in my heart that my God sees me in whatever condition I find myself and He has already sent the exact thing that I need to bring me back to a place of worshipping in His presence.  I love it when that card, person, or email shows up at just the perfect time to remind me that God SEES!
The end of the story... the angel of God pronounces a great promise to Hagar and commands her to return to Sarai and submit to her.  Hagar obeys, praises God and is blessed with a child named Ishmael meaning "God Hears". (another blog for another day? maybe so)
Know this - God sees where yo are in this stage of life and wants you to willingly continue to worship Him and follow His word with the faith that He has already set things in motion to bring you encouragement!

No comments: