12.20.2012

Ready, Aim... Wait!


Two short stories of my first year trying my hand at bow hunting for white tail deer:
Story #1 - Opening Day
There I sat (yes, "sat") watching for a deer to come through as the sun arose through the trees.  It was clearing up and I could see a good distance.  Suddenly behind me in the woods, I heard something making its way through the undergrowth. I looked and it was a good sized four or six pointer - I could not tell for sure and I am pretty new at this.  WOW!  In the first hour of my first day of bow hunting I see a buck coming along!  I slowly stood,  slowly reached for my bow while keeping an eye on where he was and where he was headed the whole time.
He walked behind a tree and I realized, as I anticipated drawing back the string, that I still had a mitten top covering my hand,.  I slowly reached down to pull it off and he came through and stopped and looked my way - BROADSIDE at 25 yards!
I waited... he looked away...I finished and prepared to draw... he looked back... I froze... he ran off.
Disappointment set in.  I missed the opportunity because I was not ready to take the shot.
Story #2 - Several weeks later...
In another location, I was again waiting as the sun arose and praising God for the beauty of the sunrise while anxiously watching the woods for signs of movement. I saw it!  Slowly moving through the woods about 60 yards away was a deer and the closer it came I realized it was a buck!  Maybe today was the day!
I was already standing... I was not going to let that happen again.  As soon as I saw him at 60 yards, I made the patient effort to get the bow ready and my hands clear. I was ready to draw with the bow raised! It came toward me.  I watched it walk behind a tree and past some undergrowth so I drew back and took aim toward where he would emerge.
He came right into my sight!  Moment of truth... I saw that I was looking straight on into his chest.  Questions popped into my head... is this a good shot or not?  I do not know - I was always told to look for a broadside shot.  I waited - he stared directly in my direction... it seemed like eternity but no more than 30 seconds passed while I questioned my judgment. I thought I was ready but I still did not KNOW if this was right.  I hesitated even though he was right there in my sights.  It was simply a release of the bow with a flick of my finger.
I hesitated.. he ran off.
Again, disappointment set in.  I knew it was a shot worth taking at 20 yards but I hesitated. Again, I missed another opportunity because I was sill not ready to take the shot. 
Are you ready?  This parable by Jesus reminds us of the penalty of missed opportunity to be prepared.
Matthew 25:1-13 (NIV) 
"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.  Five of them were foolish and five were wise.  The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.  The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.  The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.  "At midnight the cry rang out: 'Here's the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'  "Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.  The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.'  "'No,' they replied, 'there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.'  "But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.  "Later the others also came. 'Sir! Sir!' they said. 'Open the door for us!'  "But he replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you.'  "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour. "
Have you heard the message of salvation about what God tells us about believing in His Son, Jesus, in faith and about making Him the Master of our lives?  What are you waiting for?   You are like me and my bow hunting.., you know what to do and you just are not doing it!  Make a decision - have the courage to trust Jesus with your whole life!  He does not fix all of your problems but He does walk through them with yo and promises that if you take the steps to be ready  - when He comes you are going with Him!

No comments: