12.13.2012

Pull the Trigger

Three years ago a friend asked me about my hobbies and I told him about things that I do to stay busy but none are really "hobbies" - in reality, they sounded more like chores when I listed them. He said, "We're gonna have to take you deer hunting this season."  I said, "OK".
So, we went out and shot his gun - I found I could hit a target relatively accurately.
I found some cold weather gear to try to stay warm. I certainly did not "look" the part but I would be warm.
We set up a tree stand - never saw one before until then... We talked forever about deer...
Then... firearm season began and so we went hunting.
Sidebar: The term "hunting" is to men as the term "shopping" is to women.  Think about it.
Firearm season lasted two weeks and a day.  We went out several times and did not see anything to shoot at until the last day and almost the last possible minute.  The sun had set and we had another 30 minutes to see something.  Suddenly, out of the woods walks a large doe and she just walks right into view and presents us with a broadside shot!  The adrenaline began to flow. My friend whispered, "get ready"... so I did - I raised my gun, sighted down the barrel, watched her walk behind a tree and then out again.
I was about to pull the trigger as she walked and my friend (sitting next to me in the stand) grunted a noise that I had never ever heard come from his mouth before and I just about jumped out of my skin... however, I held still and as he grunted the deer came to a halt and looked around.
BANG!  I pulled the trigger and down she went.
He whispered again, "Hold still, wait and watch.  She is gonna get up and you may have to take another shot."  So I held... and held... and held... finally he said, "Well, she must not be going anywhere."
We sat a little longer and then went down to field dress her. (another story for another time)
Later, sitting at his house drinking a cup of coffee he says to me, "I am proud of you."  I was puzzled by that so I asked him why he was proud of me.  Was it that I had actually hit something?  Was it that I had dropped it in place with one shot?  I was truly curious.
His answer, "That you actually pulled the trigger."   Really?  What were we doing all this time?  We practiced, we talked about where to shoot them, what to aim at, how quiet we had to be, how still I was going to have to sit, etc.   We talked about deer walking patterns, herding habits, eating habits, what to look for in placing a tree stand, shooting lanes, etiquette (yes, there is hunting etiquette), what to wear, etc.
I asked, "Why were we doing all of this if I was not supposed to pull the trigger?"
His answer (wildly profound), "Greg, you would be shocked at the number of people that do all that we did and invest lots of money to look the part and when it gets down to it - they cannot and will not pull the trigger."
When it gets down to it - do you know what you are supposed to be doing as a professed "follower" of Jesus and yet you do not seem to have what it takes to "pull the trigger"?  It takes courage and a step of faith to live out what we know in our head and want to live with our hearts and lives.
When it comes to your spiritual life - stop thinking and PULL the TRIGGER!  


No comments: