12.17.2012

Anticipation


This year I took up bow hunting for white tailed deer.  I just started hunting three seasons ago and have used a shot gun and a muzzle loader.  Both seasons are just two weeks long and I have found that I really enjoy being outdoors watching the sun come up or go down, seeing the woods come awake for the day or settle down for the night, enjoying the stillness or the little creature activity and carefully, expectantly watching for deer.
actual picture from my deer stand this year!
So, I took up bow hunting to spend more time in the woods and increase my chances - or so I thought.  Often what I see is this...  lots of trees, lots of open areas and lots of "no deer".  But here is what is strange.  

I wait expectantly.
I seriously know that there are deer out there and I truthfully expect them to come past me EVERY time I am out.
I will watch for several hours.  Trying to barely move. Letting my eyes rove around the known trails and letting my peripheral vision pick up the motion of that one deer that is going to come out.
I do things to occupy my mind - things like working on the latest problem that I am facing in life. Things like reviewing the verses that I am trying to commit to memory.  Things like praying for the people in my life and for the direction of our church.
My mind does a million things while I watch.
But...
I am always alert to see what is coming and I am always anticipating a deer to step into view at any moment.
I have hunted more this year than the last two years combined.  In all of those days, I have only taken two shots with my bow at two different deer in a six week long season.  I have seen many deer but in archery season you have to have them a lot closer than in firearms season. So I wait for them to get in close.  Expecting them to come this way at any moment. In the many mornings and evenings that I have been out (and a few afternoons) I have climbed into that tree stand and begun to immediately look around for what I KNOW is coming. I have not doubted.  I have not questioned whether they will show - I always expect them to show - even when I see nothing - my mind still looks with that anticipation that "today is the day"!
I thought to myself just the other day...
Jesus has told me - PROMISED me - that He will come like a thief in the night and that I should EXPECT to see Him returning and calling me (and every believer in Christ  - dead and alive) to meet Him in the air and return to heaven with Him.  
Do I live each day as though I am anticipating His return to call my name?
Do I anxiously await His return and live as though He will catch me living to His glory?
Do I look up to the sky to see if the clouds are rolling back or if He is breaking through?
Why can I sit in a tree for hours with that joyful anticipation of seeing a deer arrive on the scene and I have trouble contemplating and even anticipating the return of the One who saved me from my sin and changed my life forever?
Don't let yourself be so caught up in the everyday problems that you cannot take a few moments and watch the sky, think about your Savior's return and live like you anticipate His trumpet call at any moment. It is coming.  Maybe sooner than we want to think or believe.  
Sunrise photo from my stand - what if it where Christ's return?
I feel  like as believers we should be anticipating the return of Christ and live as though He is coming soon.  I feel like while we are anticipating that event we should be sharing our faith like crazy and hoping to bring as many into heaven with us as possible!
Are you anticipating or fearing the return of Christ?

No comments: