3.07.2011

My All for His Glory

Everyone always quotes Paul saying in Philippians 1:21 "For me to live is Christ but to die is gain." I fully believe that Paul meant that – but I ask myself time and time again – do I believe that? Do I live like every waking moment is about Jesus? Is living MY life really about living for Christ?

And the second part of that – do I really feel like physically DYING would be advantageous to me?

I had someone ask me recently why we do not teach more about heaven at our church. I thought about it some and realized we really do not teach specifically on that topic very often at all. In fact, when we do talk about it it is because it is in the text and we give it an "honorable mention" at best. It made me start thinking, "do I really feel like heaven would be a better place for me than earth?" and when I honestly answer that question, I find myself thinking – "I don't want to go there yet but I do want to end up there". So how do I get to the point where I can say…"to die is gain."?

I consider the verse before that in Philippians:

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death." -Phil 1:20 (NIV)

Paul expected and hoped (with anticipation that it would happen) that he would not be ashamed by his life on earth as he stood before the Judge of the universe and his actions in life were considered. How could he say that? Because for Paul – he lived with the motto that "NOW as ALWAYS Christ would be exalted" in his body whether it was while he was living or through his death. It causes me to reflect upon me… can I say that right now – in this moment – I am living, responding, acting in a manner that exalts Jesus?

Paul could.

He was so passionately in love with his Savior that he lived every day in order to please Him! To exalt Him! To promote Him! To enjoy Him! When I live that way then I cannot wait to be in heaven together with Him. There is no fear in death when life is lived with a white hot passion for the One with Whom we desire to spend the rest of our lives (in heaven). It so changes my perspective when I think about it that way. (however, when I am neglecting my love relationship with Jesus – I sometimes am not excited about being with Him in heaven because I am afraid of being embarrassed, even though there is no need for that feeling – it still nags at me).

So – live all out for Him. Bring Him honor through your life actions.

I pray that God will give me "sufficient courage" to live "now as always" to exalt Jesus Christ. Will you pray with me?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I have some of those very same feelings, especially about wanting to end up in heaven someday, but not wanting to go yet. I'm not ready to face HIM yet. I'm definitely lacking in that love relationship.