12.14.2009

Anticipating Christmas

I have loved Christmas since I was a little kid – even if my Christmases were not filled with all kinds of toys – I still loved all that came with it! I remember one year – I don't know how old I was exactly – around 7 – 9 years old… and I was sick, soooo sick and missed a lot of school leading up to Christmas. It seems like no one was home but me – I am not sure how that worked since I was so young but I remember waking up in the early evening to a darkened house and hearing sleigh bells!

I was sure that it was Santa and then as I thought about it I knew it was too early for Santa by at least a week. So what was it? I raced around the house, sure that I was going to see a sleigh settle in our yard from above – or something special anyway! I looked out the back window and yet the sound seemed fainter there so I ran out into the living room and looked out our picture window up into the sky so sure that I was going to see Santa and his sleigh coming to OUR house – WAY EARLY!

Suddenly there were voices! What? Where? I slowly turned and realized that the stereo was left on and a Christmas song was playing on the radio. WOW – he wasn't early and I wasn't completely crazy. But I still have that same anticipation for Christmas morning. I look so forward to the joy on everyone's faces and the fun we have as a family. This is a cool season and the greatest part is the anticipation for me that it is really ALL about Jesus. Not me – not my gifts – but about the gift that God gave to us in His only Son.
I anticipate seeing God do great things this holiday season and look forward to a wonderfully blessed 2010!

No comments: