2.14.2011

I’m Adopted

I do not think that it is any secret to those that know me but I am adopted. When I was born, my biological mom (possibly a teenager in the early sixties) gave me up for adoption. This was known before I was born and at just a few days old I was officially given to my adoptive mom and dad (the only parents that I have ever really known). Even though the official adoption papers were not signed by the courts for another 7 months – I was officially theirs to raise as their own.

  • For as long as I can remember, I have known that I was adopted.
  • For as long as I can remember, I have loved my adoptive mom and dad and never ever, ever thought of myself as someone else's child – only theirs.
  • For as long as I can remember, I have not wanted to ever know who my biological mom was (or dad for that matter) because for some reason they were not prepared to raise me and thus the only parents I have known and loved have been those who raised me.
  • For as long as I can remember, I have felt loved, cherished and cared for by my mom and dad. They have done extraordinary things to care for me, provide for me, love me and teach me.
  • I have always known I was theirs. In fact, many people who have no idea I was adopted tell me that I resemble my dad who raised me. They tell me that we have similar characteristics in both physical features and mannerisms, even in patterns of speech!

I cannot help but think of a second adoption that took place in my life. One that was even more precious to me than the first one. God willingly adopted me as His son. He paid an enormous price to adopt me through the blood and suffering of His own Son, Jesus Christ. And just like my physical adoption – He is the only spiritual Father that I have ever had that cared for me unconditionally.

Since I have been adopted by God, the Father, and I am now part of a universal adopted family of brothers and sisters who have yielded their lives to Jesus, I have been changing and becoming more and more like my heavenly Father every year. It is my goal to resemble Him and to begin to have those mannerisms and speech traits that reflect Him.

In the same way as my physical adoption – my spiritual adoption leaves me with some striking similarities:

  • I am so content in being adopted my heavenly Father
  • I am glad that after this adoption I have never felt as though I am someone else's child – Only God's.
  • I do not ever want to know the master that I served in slavery before I was adopted by God as His child.
  • I feel loved, cherished, cared for, provided for and comforted by God at every turn in my life.
  • I have learned so much of what He wants me to be as I have had a chance to be taught by His written Word.
  • I want people to look at me and realize that I must be a child of God because of how I act, speak and live. I want to be associated with my adoptive heavenly Father in every way!

Adoption is such a great picture of how God accepts us with all of our flaws, problems, baggage and imperfections but willingly helps to "raise" us under His strong, protective and lovingly gentle hand. I am so glad I was adopted – both here on earth and into heaven.

No comments: