2.10.2011

A Day in the Life

Since I became employed by a church ministry, I have had to learn some new approaches to gift giving and gift receiving. ( first, I say "since I became employed by a church ministry" because many say "Since I was called into ministry" as though they were not called to do ministry before even though other employment demands do not excuse us from being "called into ministry" in everyday life already.) So, what did I have to learn?

First, I had to learn that as much as I wanted to help people financially when I saw a need, I was no longer able to do it so freely. (Not that I don't do this but my income changed enough that I could not be as "generous" as I used to think I was.) Instead, we had to think creatively. I learned to consider how a time investment instead of monetary investment might help. Networking with those that had the means to give and did not know of the need while I knew of the need and did not have the means. This has been good for us. It has broadened my scope of what it means to give gifts and share with others in need.

Second, I had to learn how to receive gifts graciously ( I am still learning this one because I tend to make jokes or try to be funny when I feel like I am in an awkward place of receiving a gift) and simply thank the giver. It is uncomfortable for a person who has enjoyed giving to others in need to become the recipient and to handle that with grace. I have found that many people are blessed to be a giver and some are blessed to be able to receive.

I think that God has challenged us (me and my family) to learn to be good givers and to learn to be good receivers, too. God has blessed us in so many ways as we have found ourselves in need these last 8 years. Through God's prompting, through prayer, through His working in the hearts of godly people and through some incredible circumstances – God has allowed us to be recipients of two vehicles (used yet reliable), three computers over the years, many special little gifts and many events that have blessed our lives tremendously. For those things and those events – we are most grateful.

But what amazes me the most is in noticing how He has blessed us in ways that we normally never even consider. Example, 18 years ago, God allowed us to build a home that we have enjoyed raising our children in and hosting many people in their times of need. When we built this home we purchased new appliances for it (all from Sears) and this was the first time in our lives that we owned new appliances. It was a pretty exciting time and yet here we are 18 years later and we still have those same appliances. Yes, we have had to repair a couple of them from time to time but they have lasted. My wife just let me know today that the dryer was not working properly and it may be something that we have another repair on but it still works!

Take the time today to thank God for the blessings that we never really consider – the blessing of appliances or things that do not wear out! How many times do you thank Him for the fact that you DO NOT have to replace and appliance? It makes me think of Nehemiah 9:19-21  "Because of your great compassion you did not abandon them in the desert. By day the pillar of cloud did not cease to guide them on their path, nor the pillar of fire by night to shine on the way they were to take. 20 You gave your good Spirit to instruct them. You did not withhold your manna from their mouths, and you gave them water for their thirst. 21 For forty years you sustained them in the desert; they lacked nothing, their clothes did not wear out nor did their feet become swollen." (also testified to in Deut. 8:4; 29:5)

Surprisingly, this care by God for His people was not a result of a reward for them. In fact, it was in spite of their hearts, their stubbornness and their horrible attitudes that He sustained them. Why? For His glory! To show HIS might and power! To bring attention to what He has done!

So… to God be the glory that the appliances and furnace in my home are still going strong (8 items in all)! He is truly a God who is worthy to be praised!

No comments: