7.21.2009

Crazy Love

I am so excited about the book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. In fact, it is the one book (other than the Bible) that I have referred with excitement to my church as recommended reading material. I love the simplicity with which Chan writes and yet the heartfelt challenges that he lays out there to help us reframe our thinking and attitude toward a magnificent and almighty God!
Jesus said that the greatest commandment for us to fulfill was "to love the Lord Your God with all your heart, soul and mind." Am I even capable of that kind of love? i know that I am but only through my life with God at the helm.
Then...Jesus adds the cherry on top... "and the second is like it, to love your neighbor as yourself." Whoa...ok. I can strive to love God with all that I have but then what's left for my neighbor, whom I may not especially get along with or even know at all?
The only thing left is actually what God grants us - an outpouring of love from a heart that is filled with love toward God. I cannot do it alone or even in my own power or desire - because when left to myself - I would rahter love myself. So the only alternative is to love God and leave it all on the field and then - God returns to me what I need to love - truly love - those that are my community, my neighbor.
God, help me to love you like I never have before and in doing so to learn to love others as I love myself.

1 comment:

Andy Jewett said...

Don't miss all the extras on the site.
http://crazylovebook.com/

I read the book a while ago and our small group has been going through it chapter by chapter. I have the audio book (Francis actually reads it which is nice). There is also a DVD that is more in depth then the website videos but all that together makes for a great series.

It is not a book for the faint of heart (or faith).