2.14.2008

Runnin’ from Frank

Part 5 of the Life on the Street series

Decision time…I was afraid that if Frank showed no mercy that I was going to be there (and watched closely) for the next three days – I was scheduled to preach the next morning at church so I hoped he showed me some mercy here. After a bunch of bantering back and forth with me trying to be as meek and gentle (with a little begging) as I could, Frank said that even though the rules were three days with no free time and then on the fourth day "possibly" an HOUR of free time, that if he could verify with someone that I really was supposed to do this that he might make an exception.

I gave him Cari's name and the event and my daughter's name and where I was supposed to be and when. He then asked for a number and I mistakenly wrote down MY cell number. Within about five minutes he placed the call and I heard him leave a voice mail. That was unusual since Cari always has her phone on and especially with this happening – I knew that she wanted to be available anytime I may need her help. As I thought for a minute, I realized that I had given my number and not hers. I approached the desk and shared that with him and then was grilled over whether I had a cell phone or not and why I had not turned it in last night. I did not lie but told him that it was dead anyway (because it was) and he said it did not matter – turn it in to the other guy and he will lock it up for me until I leave after the end of the program. Uh OH!

He then said – he would call my wife and I should have a seat. I did not go right to the guy to turn my phone in… I waited a minute or two and then I sat down and watched. Frank was working on his computer and not making the phone call. Time was ticking away. I needed a decision or my walk to Central was going to cause me to be late to the performance. I waited a few more minutes – still no call. I knew that if I left without turning in my phone and without permission (and without breakfast) that I was not going to be able to just walk back in later and hope for a meal and a bed. Still more waiting as all of this played out in my head and finally – still no action from Frank – I slipped my hat on and my gloves and slowly zipped up my jacket. Decision time was upon me. I looked his way one more time and then slipped quietly out the front door and began my trek to Elkhart Central.
I knew that I could not return so I headed out trying to create plan B in my head as I walked – What was I going to tell Cari when I saw her at Central? I had some 'splaining to do and I needed to have a plan…Worst case – I would just give up. Best case – I would ask someone to stay with them if they would be willing to help a stranger out for the night. Something in the middle – I knew that if I could make it to the church that there was a huge brush pile. I did still have a bunch of matches and I could have a fire all night and sleep out under the stars…
Check the next blog – "Some 'splaining to do" to see how I was going to explain to my wife, Cari, that I really did not know where I was staying the night on Saturday!

No comments: