2.07.2008

Life on the Street

As an illustration to an upcoming message about our inability to see past outward appearances, I opted, with my wife's consent, to spend three days and two nights in Elkhart as a homeless person with little money. Crazy, I know, but I felt like, in order to really speak from my heart, I needed to experience what someone who is homeless may experience.
Little did I know what to expect...
I called the Faith Mission in advance to be sure that I was not abusing a privilege or taking a bed that would be spoken for or eat food that would be for someone. The director assured me that I would not have a bed but could sleep on the floor and that the food supply was fine. In fact, he thought I would learn alot from the experience. So - with no barriers - I committed to it. I told only a few people so that there would not be any attention drawn to it. Today and the following posts are going to be dedicated to sharing my experiences - how I was treated, looked at, ignored and helped.
Day 1...
I bundled up with three pairs of socks, several layers of shirts a pair of gloves and a hat. I had a set of flannel lounge pants under my jeans and thought I would be ok. I had a pack of matches, $5, a driver's license for ID and small hunting knife. (my cell phone for emergencies and to keep the couple of people who knew from worry) Just two days before the temps were around -20 degrees - that's right negative 20! However, the night before I left we had an 8" snowfall and the temps wee back to low 30's. Not to bad I thought. I walked away from home around 10:00 am and began my trek to Elkhart's Faith Mission. Lunch was served between 12:30 and 1:00 so I could not dawdle. Snow was falling and the roads were not too well plowed yet.
As I walked along Mishawaka Road I was passed by cars, trucks, and semi's. No one stopped slowed down or honked. They drove by in their warm vehicles while I tromped along. It was interesting, I stopped counting cars after 200. It is only about two miles or so to State Road 19 but since the plows had only cleared the driving lanes - I had to walk in the 12" of plowed snow on the edge of the road until the traffice cleared. It took a long time. I walked along SR 19 - also in the snow when traffic came along - until I reached a side road where I turned toward the mission again. As I turned that corner - a truck driver stopped and asked me for directions - I gave him directions to his destination ( the same direction that I was walking) and he thanked me, rolled up his window and drove off. There I stood...I was now wet up to my knees and my three pairs of socks and my boots were soaked through and cold. I continued to walk - step by step.
As I neared the intersection that would bring me to the turn for the mission I felt an urgency to move faster. The time was growing short and I was getting hungry. I jogged a little ways until I reached the corner and then had two blocks to walk to the mission. As I neared the mission there were several people converging on the mission as I was. Two in front, tow from across the road and a van load of a family that wass just pulling in and unloading.
I walked in with no fanfare at all. No welcome. No instructions. Just empty stares at me as I stodd wondering what to do and where to go next.
I saw the food window and headed that way following the man in front of me. I just imitated what he did and received an huge sandwich and other various food items. I drank several glasses of water and then sat down to eat,. No one spoke. No one looked at me. No one wanted to talk.
I hoped to warm up and hang around for a while but as soon as the time was up every one had to leave. No hanging around here - meal time is over.
Come back again - "Napping in a Grocery Store" and "A Fire Under the Bridge" are next

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg, I am one of Clint's Grace friends and I think that what you did was really cool in terms of going out of your comfort zone to see what people who have no home truly go through.

Looking forward to seeing you sometime soon if you're ever at Grace, or maybe if I can one day get a ride from Clint or someone, I'd like to come to an OGBC service.

Take care, my brother in Christ!

Clint

Sprained Ankle said...

I'm waiting for Parts 2 and 3. Talk about a living parable. Hooray for the Heartland District.