10.11.2010

Little Nuggets to Ponder

I have recently been hearing these thought provoking little sayings or bits of knowledge that I have written down to consider. Let me share them with you and then you can think about them, too.

Regarding LOVE:

Action changes our thinking.

Motion results in emotion.

I found this to be an interesting bit of truth. We say that love is an action not an emotion. So if we do not have a love in our heart for someone than what do we do to change that? Do we just keep on "not loving" them? Or do we do something to change our thinking? I was challenged to action – to begin to say loving and kind things and do loving, selfless acts for someone that I do not love. If I do, I think that it may begin to change my thinking toward them. By doing this – it takes my eyes off of myself and forces me to look at others and see intentional ways to love or be loving toward them. When I do – I have to begin thinking about them and just by the act of thinking about them it will change how I think.

The second phrase above makes me realize that by the simple phrase "not loving someone" – I am trying to make hate sound less bad. If there is an absence of love then the options are limited as to what fills that void. If I just don't care – is that acceptable in the eyes of God? If I don't care, do I hate? I feel like - If I am not willing to love someone then I am disobedient to God. If I am not willing to love someone than that void must be filled with some feeling – it really can't just be apathy, can it?

Motion – moving in a direction away from something and toward something else. There has to be a goal. There has to be something that we move toward. LOVE – not the emotion – but the manner of life. Choosing to move in the direction of love says that I am going to act out lovingly toward those around me – regardless of the emotion involved and the feelings.

What did Jesus say?

Luke 6:27-36

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, {28} bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. {29} If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. {30} Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. {31} Do to others as you would have them do to you. {32} "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. {33} And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. {34} And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. {35} But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. {36} Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

Matthew 5:44

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

Action?

Pray for them – ask God to give you a love for those you do not love.

Be kind to them – look for ways.

Treat them how you would treat those that you easily love.

Do it with no expectation in return except to see your thinking changed and your emotions replaced with the "motion of love". Eventually the emotional connection will follow.

No comments: