2.08.2010

If It Ain’t Broken then Fix It

Isaiah 66:2 says "Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?" declares the LORD. "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word."

In the last few months, I have come to realize that I am not "all that". I am not really sure that I ever thought that I was "all that" in a conscious sort of way but I have learned through a series of circumstances and spiritual growth opportunities that God has a special place in His heart for those who willingly choose humility before Him. As I have read and searched the Word of God, I find more and more verses that indicate that God does not have any desire for the "self confident" believer. What He desires and whom He chooses to use are those that humbly come to Him recognizing their worth and value come only through God and not through any of their own accomplishments.

What is so cool is that suddenly this takes the pressure off! I now realize that, while I am valued as a creature in the image of God, my good traits and my bad traits are not what make me! My mistakes do not ruin my and my "spectacular" (and rare) good choices do not make me!

The word "esteem" above in Isaiah means "to look intently upon" or "to regard with pleasure". WOW! God will intently look upon some men. God regards some men with pleasure!

Who? What does it take to get God's attention? Not great exploits. Not engaging and practical sermons. Not exceptional leadership skills. Not great parenting skills. Not generous giving practices. Nor is it my horrible sin. Or my despicable past. Or my shamefulness in ongoing wrong choices. Or my constant doubt or faithlessness.

What gets God's attention and brings great pleasure to Him are the character traits of a contrite heart and humble spirit. Contrite – "broken, crushed, pulverized". Humble – "to be poor, needy".

God receives amazing pleasure when He sees a willingly broken person. A person that He can "reshape and mold" as He desires in order to create something that He alone will use for His glory alone.

You know how some people say "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" – Well, I firmly believe that a greater principle is at work here in admitting that if I am not broken then I need to fix it before God chooses to through His power.

God looks upon those who are broken and humbled before Him with great pleasure! What does that look like? There are three things that I want to share with you this week that characterize a broken believer. Stay tuned and ask God to begin breaking through to you.

No comments: